SmartPots

I started using them a few weeks ago, thanks to Charles Jackson @ SmartPots.com/High Caliper USA.

home-graphic.gif

The Smart Pot

A New Approach To Container Gardening

The patented Smart Pot is for the gardener who wants a container that will grow the best possible plant. It is a new and unique advancement in container technology that is better than any other method of container gardening. It is-

The patented Smart Pot is a soft-sided, fabric container that has the rigidity to hold its shape and can even support large trees. In fact, the Smart Pot was originally developed for and has been used by commercial tree growers for over twenty years.

The Smart Pot is an aeration container. It has a unique ability to air-prune and enhance a plant’s root structure. A highly branched, fibrous root structure is the key to growing a better plant – with more flowers and fruits, and more resistance to insects and diseases.

In any container garden, the container you use makes a difference. Find out what size container to use, and how to grow your own tomatoes. Look over our web site. E-mail us questions. Then try the Smart Pot for your Smart Garden. Your plants will thank you. Their root structures will thank you. Aeration is the key. Happy Container Gardening!

Why are Smart Pots better for Container Growing?

container_gardening.jpg

Choosing the best pot for your plants is one of the most important components for successful container gardening. For more then twenty-five years the “Smart Pot†has consistently out performed all other growing containers in both commercial nurseries and university testing. The patented Smart Pot is a soft-sided, aeration container, uniquely designed to improve the root structure of your plants enabling them to grow to their full potential.

The comparison below points out the advantages the patented Smart Pot has over various gardening containers.

Better than plastic containers - Hard-sided plastic containers are relatively inexpensive but they are not a very good home for a plant’s root structure. Plastic allows no aeration, conducts and holds heat, and provides inadequate or poor drainage. Even on mildly sunny days, container soil temperatures can easily top 120 degrees, damaging or killing the roots and stressing the plant. The #1 killer of potted or container grown plants is over watering and plastic containers with a few bottom drainage holes actually help the soil stay too wet. A Smart Pot is constructed of a porous fabric that allows heat to dissipate and excess water to evaporate. In fact, over-watering is never a problem because excess water drains and evaporates from all of the Smart Pot’s surfaces; its walls as well as its bottom.

better-container.jpg

Because the Smart Pot is a

fabric container, giving the root ball total aeration and excellent drainage, you can even use a heavier, less expensive planting mix. The type of mix used in a Smart Pot is less critical then in hard-sided pots. Also, another Smart Pot benefit is root pruning, a technique used by many commercial nurseries to produce masses of highly branched roots to improve plant quality. When a root grows to the side of the Smart Pot, it stops growing in length and develops many, many fine branches. By contrast, the roots in a plastic pot continue to grow in length when they reach the side and circle around the side of the pot. This is undesirable as there are fewer roots and these can grow around each other causing girdling or strangulation. A branched, fibrous root structure (“root prunedâ€) has a far greater root mass than a comparable plant where the roots are circling on the inside of a plastic pot. And a greater root mass will grow a better plant.

Better than ceramic and clay pots - Ceramic and clay pots are better for plant growing than plastic pots. They provide somewhat better insulation keeping soil temperatures lower then plastic pots. But ceramic and clay still provide inadequate drainage and do not encourage the best root systems. Both ceramic and clay pots are heavy and can easily break. The Smart Pot is lightweight, inexpensive, doesn’t break if dropped or frozen and can be folded so it stores easily. The Smart Pot also “root prunesâ€. Ceramic and clay do not.

container_growing.jpg

Better than raised beds - Raised beds are a great way to garden because they provide good drainage and cooler soil temperatures. Roots grow naturally and have virtually all the room they need. But raised beds can be expensive, require labor to install and are stationary. Smart Pot’s are available in a variety of sizes and also provide an ideal growing environment. The larger size Smart Pots can grow all the

plants found in raised beds, i.e. potatoes, watermelons, roses, trees, etc. Roots grow naturally, like they do in a raised bed. But the Smart Pot is a total growing unit, construction materials don’t have to be purchased, no installation or building is necessary, and are much less expensive. Smart Pots can also be moved to different locations unlike stationary, raised beds. The Smart Pot is made of inert fabric and is completely safe for edible plants, while raised beds are sometimes made of treated lumber that may contain toxic chemicals.

container_herb_gardens.jpg

Better than decorative containers - Decorative containers are just that – decorative. They are manufactured to look good and are not designed for optimum plant growth. The Smart Pot is designed to promote the best plant growth. It aerates, encourages masses of roots and prevents heat damage. Many customers grow in Smart Pots, then place their plant into a decorative container.

Also, SmartPots are reusable and can be machine washed and used again "with about 5 years of life or more. They are easily cleaned in a washing machine. Just let the bag dry and brush out as much of the roots and medium as you can. People sterilize with oxy clean or peroxide or even bleach."

Thanks again, Charles.

Romeu.

Take care

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

this sounds like a great idea i am going to buy one just to see all the abltys i think the whole concept is logical more air on roots better absortsume and it seems to breath air and let out the extra water.good idea i will try one soon and let everyone no what the results will be. i will buy a 20 gallon pot the only thing i dont like is the shipping it is $10.00 plus for the pot 20 gallons $10.95,thats ok but i think they are getting over on me with the postal charge the way i figurei am in the buissnes you charge by weight and it looks like this dealer is a little greedy i might just shop around or get one from rtegular store.

• Like 1

I use them and they work great! Do what they say, but they are a real pain if you need to move them. The soft material makes them easy to damage the root system. Things can bump into them, you can just touch it with your hand and crush a ton of roots.

They are cheap for this reason. So just make sure you use the edges to hold the pot and becareful. Or what I do is sew a handle on it!