Liberty haze and Pineapple Chunk

hi,
Here is a link to my last update on this grow from 2 weeks ago:
http://www.strainhun...r-4th-week-of-1

Below is 4 liberty haze and 4 pineapple chunk from Barney's farm. The pots are 52 liters, with a hydro medium of perlite(80%) flytocell (20%).

The pots are hand-watered.
EC is 2
ph is 5.9.

Lighting is 3600 watts - 2 by 1000 watt digital; 2 by 600watt digital; 1 by 400 watt (not digital)
The plants in the last day of week 6 of 12/12;
Here is my grow now:

take care,
john
  • Like 2

Awesome colas on those plants. Its interesting to see the Pineapple Chunk phenoms are so different. Those Liberty Haze turned into monsters! Its nice to see those girls with all the light they need to really pack on the weight! Your colas are already larger than mine were at harvest! Thanks for the video.

Best regards

Hi Turksteelman,

Light is the key here; if you have a look at the really large colas on the liberty haze, where I hold the colas - that plant is directly under an old magnetic 400 watt light as well as receiving light from the other lights, all of which are digital.

I think I will harvest around 250 grams from that plant, where as the plants under the other lights, will not yield anywhere near that.

If I could I would put another 600 watt light in the room, but I am using enough power as it is, and one has to be careful about such things.

The large pots do help too.

I was surprised with the Pineapple Chunk, previously the plants all had a sativa growth pattern.

I guess it just depends on which plant or plants the seeds are taken from. This time the plants are much more indica domi.

Strange, but then Pineapple Chunk is a skunk 1 cross and pheno 2 of this strain takes after that parent. I have grown skunk 1, in fact, it was one of the first strains I grew, so I recognize its growth pattern.

There must be at least 3 phenotypes with this strain. One pheno takes after its skunk 1 father,

another takes after its indica mother,

and, as I have not seen these two phenos before, there is another pheno that takes after both parents. The plants in all other respects are as I have come to expect from this strain.

In my next grow, I am going to grow 10 plants, as with 8 plants as it is now, I am losing a lot of light that just hits the floor.

With 10 plants this will not be a problem and all that lost light will strike green leaves.

take care, and thanks for taking an interest in my grow;

happy smoking and all the best,

john

• Like 1

John,

I finally got around to clearing out my garage and still had the stems of my Liberty Haze grow in the medium in the pots. As I pulled each stem out of the pot with the whole contents of the pot I expected to see very strong roots that reached to the bottom of the pots. This was not what I found. The roots didn't go that deep at all! When you use your large pots as you do, do your roots fill out the pot very well? I always had runoff when I watered. When I use foxfarms soil the roots are way more developed. Does the artificial medium contribute to this? By the way 250 grams is awesome!

hi Turksteelman,

The roots always fill the pots, not to a point where they are root bound, but always reach the bottom of the pot.

What may have happened is that you did not let the pots dry out enough.

I am changing my medium, as the flytocel is a hassle to purchase now; I have tested one pot with a 20% coco and 80% perlite.

This is a good medium because the pots dry out in about 2 to 3 days; I like to let the pots dry out between waterings.

The plants like an airy medium that stays moist - perlite is idea but too dry; with the coco to retain moisture, this is fine.

It gives the roots plenty of air but the medium stays moist - especially as it is a 52 liter pot.

The best way to see if a plant needs water is too lift it. Once you know the dry weight of the pot, it is easy to see if it needs water.

I wait until the pot is just a little heavy than when it had no water in it, and then I water the plants at about 5 liters per pot every 2 to 4 days.

The roots seek out water, and grow to the bottom of the pot as well as to the sides.

By letting them dry out, it allows for plenty of oxygen to reach the roots, as well as encourages a strong well develop root system.

It could be the medium, as it does seem very strange, if it is not airy, then the roots do not develop as well.

You can also use a mixture of potting mix and perlite, at 50/50.

It could also have something to do with your environment - if I remember correctly, you said it was very dry; it is possible this may have played a part.

I would most certainly not use that soil again.

Well with the 250 grams, I am only estimating, but I have done it before recently with a Arjan's Haze 1, and chemdog.

take care, my mate,

john

• Like 1

Great looking plants with some real nice nugs, well done dude ;)

I have this same method of coco/perlite and a wet/dry cycle :) I also just lift the pots to gather when it needs fed :) I read somewhere that coco doesn't like to dry out too much but in my experience it can dry out quite a bit without any problems :) I will have to try this 80/20 mix as usually do a 40/60 :)

hi gonzoghost,

The mix does depend I think on the size of the pot. If I used pure coco, it would take perhaps as long as 10 days to fully dry out. I use 52 liter pots. Another problem is that when I flush, with other mediums, again it takes them too long to dry out. These pots can hold a lot of moisture, and that is why I use such a low mix of coco

The wet and dry cycle is the way to go.

thanks for having a look,

take care,

john

• 2 weeks later...

hi gonzoghost,

The mix does depend I think on the size of the pot. If I used pure coco, it would take perhaps as long as 10 days to fully dry out. I use 52 liter pots. Another problem is that when I flush, with other mediums, again it takes them too long to dry out. These pots can hold a lot of moisture, and that is why I use such a low mix of coco

The wet and dry cycle is the way to go.

thanks for having a look,

take care,

john

That's actually logical :) Thanks dude ;) Never thought of it this way :)

I use 11L pots and it can take between 2 and 7 days depending on size/week of flowering. Hunger peaks around week 3 and then again around week 8. Mine are about to start week 5, about 3ft tall, 11L pots and are drying out in about 3 days. They seem to be slowing down now the stretch is finished :) Saves my nutes at least :) Going through so much nutrients it's insane :)